Monday, September 15, 2014

Cows Might be Educated Too

Don't yew love when companies mispell werds on perpose? No. Nobody does. It was annoying just to write that, let alone read it. I find it insulting that I have to see things written like that on a daily basis. Much like many of you, I have attended some level of schooling so that I might be able to read and write like an intellectual, and you know, fit into society.

In recent years, companies have taken a new approach to getting noticed, and this initial concept became wildly popular. When the concept first came about, consumers were caught off guard. But isn't that the idea of advertising? To catch the attention of the consumer? Yes, fellow consumer, that is the goal. Unfortunately, seeing the same "attention grabbers" over and over and over is like being beaten to death with the same mildly entertaining joke.

Some companies have taken a hard stance and built an entire advertising campaign around the concept of purposely misspelling the words in their ads. Not to pick on any one company, but just as Roger Goodell makes examples of players, we will pick a company to sacrifice on the alter of advertising "no-no's." Enter Chick-fil-a. 


Everybody loves a good anthropomorphic (It has human characteristics) animal, and I'm not any different than any other consumer. I put my pants on one leg at a time, and laugh at a good talking cow or two. The difference is that once my pants are on and the laughs have passed, I get sick  of watching companies abuse intentional misspelling. 

Don't get me wrong. The idea is cute - cows producing advertisements for a company which specializes in chicken based food. This could potentially be the best marketing effort in the history of cowkind, or a desperate, and rather horrific, attempt at self preservation, but that's neither here nor there. Bottom line is that these ads were original...five years ago. As social media and advertising have progressed, consumers have grown weary of reading the same misspelled words. These are no longer attention grabbers, but instead just another annoying variation of the same ads. 

Continuing with the Chick-fil-a ads, maybe eventually these cows will be wearing graduation caps and sharing their information in an educated fashion. Will that be the next concept behind the advertising campaign? Doubtful, but I'm just spit-balling. The ads are affective and they serve their purpose. They make money. I'm not taking anything away from them, I just think the misspelled words are them beating a dead horse and its time for a change. 

All in all, a big thank you to Chick-fil-a. We needed a scapegoat and they flawlessly served our purposes. The only other thing I wan't to fault them for is closing on Sundays, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the next time I eat Chick-fil-a on a Sunday will be in my dreams. They are only one of many companies using this strategy and eventually I'm sure we'll see them head in a different direction. Will we educate these heffers? The world may never know, but I'm eagerly awaiting the day they improve both their grammar and penmanship. So until that happens...

-JD

No comments:

Post a Comment